Cntrl-Alt-F[2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12] do not work

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 19:20:48 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Laing, Robin <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>
wrote:

> On 2014-06-22 13:20, JD wrote:
> > Using Mate on FC20, with latest updates.
> > Cntrl-Alt-F keys never worked from the very first login into Mate
> Desktop.
> >
> > These are the installed mate packages. Am I missing something?
> >
> > It my be worthwhile to note that at the login screen, Cntrl-Alt-F keys DO
> > WORK!!
> > After login, into mate desktop, they stop working.
> >

> Is there something that is happening to the keyboard mapping?  My
> keyboards require a function key to be set to use the Function keys.  Is
> this being reset when Mate starts?
>

> showkey can be used to see if they are working.
>
> On my keyboard, if the F lock button is not pushed, then the keys send
> anything.
>

> xkeycaps as well.

​My KB is the laptop's KB (Dell Latitude E6500)
There is no F-Lock key that I can see.​
Tried showkey and pressed Cntrl-Alt-F2

# showkey
kb mode was ?UNKNOWN?
[ if you are trying this under X, it might not work
since the X server is also reading /dev/console ]
press any key (program terminates 10s after last keypress)...

​By the above warning, it seems useless to try showkey under X
But here goes ....​

keycode  29 press
keycode  56 press
keycode  60 press
keycode  60 release
keycode  56 release
keycode  29 release

​And still no effect.​

​xkeycaps fails to detect my type of keyboard and assumes a 101 key PC
keyboard,
which is not the case.

The GUI does not allow scrolling the KB type list so I can select the right
KB.
I tried to scroll it with the mouse and with the up/down arrow keys to not
avail. I tried to drage the scroll bar of each columns in the KB config GUI,
again to no avail.
​