Thunderbird problem -

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 6 16:11:28 UTC 2014

On 03/06/14 18:01, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 03/06/14 06:52, Frode Petersen wrote:
>> Den 06. mars 2014 09:41, skrev Bob Goodwin:
>>> All I did was delete a bunch of extraneous stuff from "Mail" that
>>> I kept rsyncing between Thunderbird/computers, specifically;
>>>
>>> /pop.juno.com
>>> /smart mailboxes
>>>
>>> I see no connection there, but obviously something has happened.
>>> I couldn't see anything in "Config" that looked as though it
>>> might help.
>>
>> Have you tried creating a new tbird profile, to see if you get the
>> same error?
>
> I will try that, it should help define the problem even if it does
> not correct it. i really want to use the cleaned up "Mail" files and
> if that is where the problem is  it might continue ... Still a good
> thing to try!

a new user will show if problem is with your user configs, or with
thunderbird's files.

if you try new user and still have problem, which i believe you may,
because of type of error you are getting, try following...

press <ctrl+shift+J> to open error console. there you see all past
error messages.

across top, you will see a selection of buttons for each type of
error. select [All], move cursor to each error, click them 1 by 1.
when error highlights, press <ctrl+c> to copy, <ctrl+v>  to paste a
copy to an open text editor. repeat until you have them all copied,
save to a file. press [Clear] button to start a new collection.

[and no, i do not know why authors did not put in a feature to save
errors to a file. one day i will look to find a page at mozilla.org
that gives a good explanation of error console and how to trouble-
shoot errors.]

restart thunderbird. if you have any add-ons, select from main menu;

    Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled

restart thunderbird, send yourself some messages, then download them.
if problem disappeared, it is an add-on.

if not, it is with thunderbird files. press <ctrl+shift+j> again,
copy new errors as above, save to a new file.

now you have 3 choices;

#1a - store errors to a file storage site, post back location
       so this list's subscribers can see if can help.

#1b - store errors to a file storage site, post location to
       thunderbird list subscribers can see if they can help.

#2  - forget all of above, uninstall, then reinstall thunderbird
       to see if problem corrects.

if you chose #2 and still have problem, it is with user, or a bad install.

another thing, i did go thru 'about:config' to see if there where
any configs associated with displaying message activity. if there
is, i have no idea of how it is named, as i checked all names of
'status bar', 'activity', 'download', and about 5 more. after
making changes, i restarted thunderbird and found no change in
what i see at status location.

this does not mean that i had right one, as there is no telling
what it is called. mozilla authors are like that. :-)

much luck.

btw. i would opt for #2. easiest in long run. ((gbwg))

--

peace out.

tc.hago.

.