after upgrading fedora rawhide this morning, no graphical desktop

Kevin Martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 13:00:52 UTC 2014

>   recently, i upgraded my ASUS G74S laptop to fedora rawhide and it
> was running nicely. then this morning, i did another "yum update",
> which appeared to update well over 200 packages (including a slightly
> newer kernel), after which, when i booted, i had no graphical desktop
> anymore, just the little blue and white fedora logo.
>
>   i can still switch to VC2 and log in at the command line (where i am
> now), so i can certainly check log files, but i don't see anything
> immediately amiss.
>
>   i rebooted both to the earlier rawhide kernel, and even back to the
> latest fedora 20 official kernel -- same result, the fedora logo in
> the middle of the screen on VC1, but the ability to log in on another
> virtual console.
>
>   has anyone else run into this? i have an nvidia graphics card, and
> am running the nouveau driver. i'll keep poking around the log files,
> and if you have any suggestions, i'm all ears.
>
> rday

Hmm, sounds similar to what I'm experiencing.  When you go into VC2 what does "lsmod  | grep nouveau" show?  I've found that I've
been having to manually "modprobe nouveau modeset=1" since doing my update about 4 days ago.  I'm not sure why nouveau won't load
and I find that if I don't set the modeset=1 when I do the manual modprobe that I still can't get X.

Kevin