after upgrading fedora rawhide this morning, no graphical desktop

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Mar 13 13:11:36 UTC 2014

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Kevin Martin wrote:

> On 03/13/2014 07:57 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   recently, i upgraded my ASUS G74S laptop to fedora rawhide and it
> > was running nicely. then this morning, i did another "yum update",
> > which appeared to update well over 200 packages (including a slightly
> > newer kernel), after which, when i booted, i had no graphical desktop
> > anymore, just the little blue and white fedora logo.
> >
> >   i can still switch to VC2 and log in at the command line (where i am
> > now), so i can certainly check log files, but i don't see anything
> > immediately amiss.
> >
> >   i rebooted both to the earlier rawhide kernel, and even back to the
> > latest fedora 20 official kernel -- same result, the fedora logo in
> > the middle of the screen on VC1, but the ability to log in on another
> > virtual console.
> >
> >   has anyone else run into this? i have an nvidia graphics card, and
> > am running the nouveau driver. i'll keep poking around the log files,
> > and if you have any suggestions, i'm all ears.
> >
> > rday
> >
> Hmm, sounds similar to what I'm experiencing.  When you go into VC2
> what does "lsmod | grep nouveau" show?  I've found that I've been
> having to manually "modprobe nouveau modeset=1" since doing my
> update about 4 days ago.  I'm not sure why nouveau won't load and I
> find that if I don't set the modeset=1 when I do the manual modprobe
> that I still can't get X.

  here's mine:

nouveau              1087913  2
mxm_wmi                12865  1 nouveau
i2c_algo_bit           13257  1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper         50287  1 nouveau
ttm                    80479  1 nouveau
drm                   283937  4 ttm,drm_kms_helper,nouveau
i2c_core               38476  6 drm,i2c_i801,drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit,nouveau,videodev
wmi                    18804  3 mxm_wmi,nouveau,asus_wmi
video                  19206  2 nouveau,asus_wmi

  i could, i guess, manually unload all modules dependent on nouveau,
or just reboot and add "nouveau.modeset=1" at the kernel command line,
right?

  i also checked /sys/module/nouveau/parameters/modeset, which
currently has a value of -1, which i don't understand. still, if it's
a module issue, why would rebooting under an earlier, working kernel
not have fixed this?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca