BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s! after recent update of Fedora 20

The Walters sbwalters0731 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 13:45:14 UTC 2014

On 3/15/2014 2:12 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: The Walters <sbwalters0731 at gmail.com>
>
> | After a recent update started seeing messages like what is listed below and
> | now complete lock up. Tried going back 1 or 2 kernels but same issue.
>
> I can't help you with the specific problem.
>
> It is always good to google an error message.  Have you?  I'm not going
> to try -- I'll leave that to you.
I have googled it and have tried the suggestions but none of them have
worked. I also searched the list back quite a few months and nothing
showed up.

> It would be a good idea to mention the actual kernel versions you've
> tried.
>
> Red Hat's bugzilla is a useful place to report errors.  I always like
> to be a little confident before I report them.  So asking on the list
> may be a good idea.
I have tried the last 2 kernels and the 1st kernel that that was with
the original release of Fedora 20 (I know this was a long shot) but no
go. I also have the last Fedora 19 kernel install from before I did an
upgrade to 20 and that starts okay with no issues but of course RPC Bind
and the IPv4 firewall won't run with this after the upgraded (the system
is an i386 system).
Last 2
3.13.6-200
3.13.5-200
Old/1st
3.11.10-301
Fedora 19 Kernel that works with no errors but can not use because of
issues mentioned above
3.9.9-302

I agree with you about asking on the list first before posting a
bugzilla report. In fact I check a couple of bugzilla reports that were
close to my issue but they were either closed due to no followup
information or just hanging open.

> | Wondering if this is a hardware problem?
>
> Why?  Because old kernels show the same problem yet you only noticed
> it recently?  That's a good thought.  But Fedora kernels come out
> frequently -- check the age of the oldest one you've tried.
>
> Whenever I wonder about a hardware error, with non-specific symptoms,
> I start memtest86 going overnight.  That makes me more confident about
> the RAM at least.
>
> Consider trying a really old kernel as another test.
>
> Good luck!

Just wondering because it is an old system but it has been rock solid.
No issues with the ram as I upgraded it not too long ago but running a
memtest can't hurt.

Thanks for the suggestions.