All-in-one laser printer recommendation

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 16:56:49 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-03-15 at 22:32 +0600, g wrote:

> On 03/15/14 19:45, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I'm on the lookout for a reliable all-in-one mono laser printer to use
> > under Fedora. Must be networked, preferably wireless, and both print
> > and scan functions must be supported with standard tools (CUPS etc.)
> >
> > The Samsung  Xpress M2070W looks like a good all-rounder but I'm
> > unsure about Linux support. Google seems to show a variety of
> > opinions.
> >
> > Anyone have one of these beasties, or have an alternative to recommend?
>
> i never have and never will recommend any 'all-in-one'.
>
> regardless of what brand you get, something you should consider about
> 'all-in-one', what happens when you lose power supply? all is lost.

I repair it or replace it, same as anything.

> as for recommendation, get individual units. way less expensive to
> replace/repair when they break.

But take up at least twice the space and need another power socket. If I
was scanning every day I would consider it, but it's only for very
occasional use.

> granted, you will pay more for individual units, but less expensive
> to replace if you have to.

And more if I don't. I frankly doubt that this is a determining factor
for the typical home user, i.e. me.

> as for type of printer, laser does give better quality.
>
> for scanner, go with a 'legal' size.

I'm in Europe, so A4 is the size I need.

poc