can't boot F19 system

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Mar 17 05:47:55 UTC 2014

On Mar 16, 2014, at 11:19 PM, pgaltieri . <pgaltieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well I tried to re-install grub per the link in a previous email.  I booted from DVD, went into rescue mode and did the chroot.  I ran
>
> /sbin/grub2-install /dev/sda
>
> and on rebooting I get:
>
> Secure Boot
> Image failed to verify with <ACCESS DENIED>
> Press any key to continue
>
> So now what?
>
> Anyway to recover from this?

Well the autopsy is that the advice to re-install grub wasn't appropriate for UEFI computers, and actually makes the problem worse on UEFI computers with Secure Boot enabled. By using grub2-install, a custom grubx64.efi (core.img) was created and replaced the signed one making what was actually a booting system, not bootable.

To replace the signed one, you need to boot the DVD with the rescue a system option found in the troubleshooting menu. Accept the default options in the menus.

cp /run/install/repo/EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi /mnt/sysimage/boot/efi/EFI/fedora/

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
exit
reboot

See the other email I posted for what information you need to supply to fix your original problem.

Chris Murphy