can't boot F19 system

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 18 04:37:07 UTC 2014

On Mar 17, 2014, at 9:53 PM, "pgaltieri ." <pgaltieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> modprobe vfat
>
> returns with no messages at all.  The vfat module is not loaded.

Seems important to find out why the kernel isn't loading fat.ko+vfat.ko.

Emergency shell you can run:
fsck.msdos -a /dev/sda1

See where that gets you, and report back. There is no automatic FAT fsck at startup, which maybe is a bug since we're always mounting /boot/efi read-write.

I'd like to see the result of a boot with boot parameters rhgb quiet removed, and systemd.log_level=debug added. And then use this:

journalctl -xb -o short-monotonic > /mnt/usb/journal-debug.txt

And post that somewhere. I'd like to see the full debug info from systemd. Maybe it's trying to mount /boot/efi before /sysroot? Hard to imagine that.

> Here's a link to grub.cfg
>
> https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=M-h6hV1bQcEinfQSrTkMsc

That's normal.

> 2) System indicates it's powering off, however, system does not turn off it restarts and boots back to login screen

What happens if you logout your user, change to a shell, login as root, and issue: poweroff

If that consistently works, and doing it with Mate's UI does not, then file a bug against Mate. If poweroff doesn't work either…

> 3) Try shutdown again - same result
>
> 4) Get frustrated :-)
>
> 5) Hit power button to turn off system.

OK stop doing that.

echo 1 >/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
echo r >/proc/sysrq-trigger
echo e >/proc/sysrq-trigger
echo i >/proc/sysrq-trigger
echo s >/proc/sysrq-trigger
echo u >/proc/sysrq-trigger
echo o >/proc/sysrq-trigger

If that reboots instead of powers off, then it's probably a kernel bug and you should file a bug against the kernel. I'd check to make sure your UEFI firmware is up to date first.

If it does power off, but the poweroff command does not, then your problem might be a systemd bug.

Chris Murphy