Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Mar 22 18:29:02 UTC 2014

Ed Greshko wrote:

> Does anybody nowadays actually burn CDs or DVDs?

> Yes.....  The BIOS on many of the machines I encounter don't support
> booting from USB.

How old are they?

Assuming they are very old, would it not be more rational
for the documentation to assume that the user
was at a reasonably new machine,
and add a section or appendix to deal with the case of an ancient BIOS?

In my view, if 90% of users are going to use option A,
then 90% of the user documentation should deal with that case.
Treating all options equally is a recipe for verbosity.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net