Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 18:22:17 UTC 2014

On 22 March 2014 17:23, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Let`s say you install to a software RAID-1 --- which is minimum
> requirement for anything to put data on --- made from two disks, with
> encrypted partitions (as usual /, /usr, /home, /tmp, /var, /usr/local,
> and a swap partition).  You want to have these partitions in a
> particular order on the disks, i. e. swap at the beginning because
> chances are it`s faster, then /usr, /var, /tmp, /usr/local and /home, in
> that order.
>
> That`s nothing complicated, either, and I don`t think that`s possible
> with Fedoras installer.  Or is it?  And if it is, how long does it take
> to do the partitioning?

[Blinks]

Wow. Now, y'see, that's something I'd consider wildly exotic and
weird. I haven't put /usr on a separate partition since the 1980s when
I was trying to build 20-user systems with 20-40MB hard disks.

I never separate out /tmp or /var or /usr/local - I only ever use /
and /home basically. I might split off /var on a server but I'd need a
remarkably persuasive use case, and on servers, I use extra-stable
distros without GUIs, not something like Fedora.

But this just illustrates the breadth of scenarios a successful
installer must cope with!

--
Liam Proven * Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk * GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven