Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I,?“Why?”)

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sun Mar 23 22:18:56 UTC 2014

"Powell, Michael" <Michael_Powell at mentor.com> writes:

>> Then they need to turn around at once!  Leaving users in the dark about
>> what`s going on makes things more difficult for them.  Taking away choices
>> limits the use of the software to the point where it eventually becomes
>> unusable.
>>
>> Good design, clarity, good documentation and letting the user know what
>> choices there are are required when you want to achieve ease of use.
>
> I don't think the installer is as bad as most people on this list are
> complaining about; it's certainly not leaving any users in the dark.

It doesn`t give you choices.  It leaves you in the dark about that it is
somehow possible to use an non-gui installer and to do a minimal
install.  It leaves you in the dark about what exactly happens when you
do the partitioning and with trying to figure out how get the
partitioning you want.

Partitioning took me about three hours with the installer of F19, with a
very simple setup and not even data to preserve and neither RAID, nor
encryption, and it was only possible after I created the partitions
outside the installer.  There was no way to do it with the installer, it
kept saying there isn`t enough room despite there was plenty, and it did
what it wanted rather than what I wanted.

It was seriously awful.  It would have taken 10--15 minutes with the
Debian installer.

> A large majority of the information from the older installer is still
> there, it's just up to the user to seek it out.

I don`t know anything about "the older installer" or how to seek out
information about it; I didn`t even know that there is an "older
installer".  The first Fedora installer I used was the one with F17.

> In essence the installer went from a hardcore presentational format to
> a more laid back format - a shift every OS has consciously made in the
> last decade.

I don`t know what you mean.  The Debian installer got more options and
some more clarity which was an improvement.  Otherwise it didn`t change,
you just do country and keyboard setup --- which is missing in Fedoras
installer, there was no way to tell it that I have a German keyboard ---
network setup if you don`t use DHCP, partitioning, a bit of package
selection if you want to, and then it installs.

It`s easy and straightforward as it used to be for the last twenty
years, and I never had trouble using it.  Why suddenly make installing
such a PITA like Fedoras installer does?

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)