death key combo

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Mar 28 19:47:57 UTC 2014

On 03/28/2014 11:29 AM, Mike Wright issued this missive:
> Hi all,
>
> f18
>
> Just had an inexplicable (to me) event occur.
>
> Accidentally typed "ctrl-alt-l" which caused a logout from my runlevel
> 5, but did NOT shut down the running processes.
>
> I was left with 6 running VMs, a host (not a pun) of other processes and
> a login prompt.  Once authenticated the only thing that changed was that
> the login box disappeared.  (beginning to hate that blue background,
> reminds of somebody else's bsod)
>
> I can ssh in from a remote but am hosed from the local console.  No
> tty's available.  No where to go, move along Lookie Lou.
>
> I always wondered how to log out and leave everything running awaiting
> with bated breath my eventual return.  Now I know.  But just how do I
> get back in?
>
> New one for me.  Anybody out there that has found their way to the
> center of the earth and managed to get out???
>
> Please, insight, magic key codes, valium...

According to my XFCE config, <ctrl><alt>l is the XFCE session logout
and brings up the logout dialog box (restart, logout, shut down, etc.).
It doesn't just "log me out".

My guess is that the session is screwed up and it's not seeing which
desktop you'd like after logging in. You might try hitting ye ol'
still work?)