Gnome weather extension as malware?

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu May 1 20:54:22 UTC 2014

Hi,

Disclaimer: I do not use this extension, but I do use the XFCE counterpart.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 10:29:24AM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> This extension gets its weather information from the Norway weather service,
> and you can't change this.

This is standard practise among many FOSS weather monitoring tools.  A
year or so back most popular weather feeds either stopped, went
proprietary, or kept changing their feed structure too often.  At this
point many FOSS weather tools moved to the service provided by Norwegian
Weather Institute.  It is never going to go proprietary, and will most
likely stay alive for the foreseeable future.  It is also rather
reliable.

I hope that explains why it cannot be changed, no options out there.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu