Gnome weather extension as malware?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 2 00:47:54 UTC 2014

Robert Moskowitz:
>> This extension gets its weather information from the Norway weather service,
>> and you can't change this.

Suvayu Ali:
> This is standard practise among many FOSS weather monitoring tools.  A
> year or so back most popular weather feeds either stopped, went
> proprietary, or kept changing their feed structure too often.  At this
> point many FOSS weather tools moved to the service provided by Norwegian
> Weather Institute.  It is never going to go proprietary, and will most
> likely stay alive for the foreseeable future.  It is also rather
> reliable.

While that sounds reasonable, the 15 second refresh period does not.
Does it really do that?  Is it really necessary to do so?

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.13.10-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Mon Apr 14 21:00:56 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.