[OT] how to see if an rpm file will modify config files upon update

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu May 8 11:43:27 UTC 2014

Hello,
sorry if this question is more for rpm devs...
I know that in a spec file the definition

%confg ......./file_name1
will cause update of an edited file_name1, saving the on disk one into
.rpmsave before overwriting

while
%confg(noreplace) ......./file_name2
will retain the edited file_name2 on disk and save the provided new config
file into .rpmnew

The question is:
can I see if a config file was defined in its spec with or without
(noreplace) if I have not the spec file and the .src.rpm file, but I have
only the final binary rpm?

I made some tests but I didn't find any difference
Tried queries with "-c" option, with "-V" option and  with "--dump" option.
Both either with "-f package.rpm" and directly against rpm db but no
information extracted.
But I think this information should be in any way in the rpm itself...

Thanks in advance

Gianluca