[OT] how to see if an rpm file will modify config files upon update

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 12:19:16 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 6:43 AM, Gianluca Cecchi
<gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
> sorry if this question is more for rpm devs...
> I know that in a spec file the definition
>
> %confg ......./file_name1
> will cause update of an edited file_name1, saving the on disk one into
> .rpmsave before overwriting
>
> while
> %confg(noreplace) ......./file_name2
> will retain the edited file_name2 on disk and save the provided new config
> file into .rpmnew
>
> The question is:
> can I see if a config file was defined in its spec with or without
> (noreplace) if I have not the spec file and the .src.rpm file, but I have
> only the final binary rpm?

I think this is what you're looking for:

$ rpm -q --scripts httpd
preinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
# Add the "apache" user
/usr/sbin/useradd -c "Apache" -u 48 \
-s /sbin/nologin -r -d /usr/share/httpd apache 2> /dev/null || :
postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):

if [ $1 -eq 1 ] ; then
        # Initial installation
        /usr/bin/systemctl preset httpd.service htcacheclean.service
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :
fi
preuninstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):

if [ $1 -eq 0 ] ; then
        # Package removal, not upgrade
        /usr/bin/systemctl --no-reload disable httpd.service
htcacheclean.service > /dev/null 2>&1 || :
        /usr/bin/systemctl stop httpd.service htcacheclean.service >
/dev/null 2>&1 || :
fi
postuninstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):

/usr/bin/systemctl daemon-reload >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

# Trigger for conversion from SysV, per guidelines at:
# https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#Systemd
posttrans scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
test -f /etc/sysconfig/httpd-disable-posttrans || \
  /bin/systemctl try-restart httpd.service htcacheclean.service >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
---end---

Add a pipe to grep for config and you should get what you need.

Richard