Tips on burning to Bluray (BD-R) media under Fedora 20

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri May 9 06:27:04 UTC 2014

On 05/09/14 12:00, Tim wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-05-08 at 14:37 -0500, Steven Ulrick wrote:
>> I eventually found out that I messed up when I bought this drive...
>> It can't burn Bluray discs.
>
> The same kind of thing happened when DVDs came out - there were a few
> CD-burner/DVD-reader combo drives.
>
> I suppose they're catering to the people who don't want to burn the
> latest media, just watch videos, and/or don't have machines with enough
> oomph for burning video discs.  And back then, it was some time before
> you could get blank DVDs, so the CD-burner/DVD-reader combo made sense.

in addition, it is a crappy way of recouping expense of developing
optical disk media drives. the slight extra cost to burn is not that
much greater of read only.

before the first cd drive was released, designs for dvd where already
developed. only decision to be made was whose design would be used.

when it comes to optical drives, it is "let the buyer beware" if he
does not read all the labeling and fine print.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.

.