Consistent device naming

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed May 14 01:33:08 UTC 2014

> You could learn to love the default udev nomenclature

Of course the major problem with the new "consistent" names
is they keep changing the software and making the names
consistently different :-).

The original biosdevname changed two or three times with
the names of the ports on my machine changing each time, then
the systemd fungus decided to engulf biosdevname and of
course had to change the naming convention yet again.

Then there is nonsense like the new systemd rules giving
totally wacky names to USB wireless dongles, names that
change when you move the dongle from one USB port to
another. If I had a definition of "consistent" it
wouldn't including changing the name of a removeable
device just because I happened to plug it into a
different USB port.

In 5 or 10 years maybe the consistent names will
stop changing...