Consistent device naming

Russell Miller duskglow at gmail.com
Wed May 14 01:37:37 UTC 2014

On May 13, 2014, at 6:33 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> You could learn to love the default udev nomenclature
>
> Of course the major problem with the new "consistent" names
> is they keep changing the software and making the names
> consistently different :-).
>
> The original biosdevname changed two or three times with
> the names of the ports on my machine changing each time, then
> the systemd fungus decided to engulf biosdevname and of
> course had to change the naming convention yet again.

Don't get me started with systemd.  That is one of the things that makes me
rethink ever becoming a Linux system administrator.  You'd think that otherwise
intelligent people would know better, but I'm always unpleasantly surprised.

...  and distros keep moving to it.  The idiocy isn't just constrained to the
developers, apparently.

Biggest bunch of idiocy I've ever seen in Linux since Gnome and the way
KDE 4 was released.

--Russell