So has anyone gotten their sound to work since it broke a few days ago?

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Tue May 20 03:50:02 UTC 2014

Erik P. Olsen writes:

> On 20/05/14 03:03, Someone wrote:
>> So what steps could one take to try removing pulseaudio? Just "sudo yum
>> remove pulseaudio"?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> Looking back through my logwatch that seems to be what I did.

In a number of distributions over a period spanning many years, removing
pulseaudio has been a first, and all too often entirely successful, means
of getting sound working.

Pulseaudio would be exhibit A in a counterargument to a claim that "all the
distributions are doing it."

I think it is possible for distributions to get Pulseaudio right. Sabayon
and Linux Mint seem, in my experience, to be two that have done so. But
even so, unless you have a specialized need for Pulseaudio, which
apparently may include very high-end audiophile applications, removing it
seems generally harmless.

--
David Benfell
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you do not understand the