So has anyone gotten their sound to work since it broke a few days ago?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 04:07:29 UTC 2014

On Mon, 19 May 2014 20:50:02 -0700
David Benfell wrote:

> In a number of distributions over a period spanning many years, removing
> pulseaudio has been a first, and all too often entirely successful, means
> of getting sound working.

My most fun with pulse was a few months ago when sound suddenly
stopped working on a random subset of applications. I eventually
discovered that for (as yet undetermined reasons) pulse had
decided to send the sound from some apps to different sound
devices than the default (hdmi) I had set.

My motherboard looks to the OS like it has two sound "cards".
After setting the profile for the 2nd card to "none" pulse
finally started sending everything to the hdmi port again.

I don't know if some lunatic decided to implement "load
balancing" among multiple sound cards or it was just a wild
bug of some kind that came in some update, but it was
very mysterious for a while.