Moving Fedora system to new disk

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Thu May 29 11:20:46 UTC 2014

On 05/28/14 09:36, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm planning on moving the Fedora-20 system on my laptop
> to a new hard disk (500GB instead of 80GB).
> I've partitioned the new disk.
> When I copy partitions from the old disk to the new one
> with "cp -a" (running under a Fedora Live CD)
> I get a lot of messages of the form
>    diff: a/bin/acroread: No such file or directory
>    diff: b/bin/acroread: No such file or directory
>
> All the messages concern symbolic links.
> I see in "man cp" that  "cp -a" included
>    "--no-dereference never follow symbolic links in SOURCE"
>
> Does this mean cp is not an appropriate way to copy partitions?
> I thought of using dd, but the partitions are not the same size,
> and I was not sure if this would cause problems.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.

i do not know what version of 'cp' you have, but i can tell you that
"cp (GNU coreutils) 8.4" does not copy directories or files that have
a space in their name. which is why i use 'find|cpio' for disk and
directory path coping.

to insure that i have all directories and files, i open a terminal at
top of copy source and target paths and run 'ls -lR > 00-path'. then
i use kwrite to open files, move to bottom of files and compare the
line number to insure all has been copied.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.

.