Moving Fedora system to new disk

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu May 29 22:30:02 UTC 2014

On May 29, 2014, at 5:31 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> Heinz Diehl wrote:
>
>>> I'm planning on moving the Fedora-20 system on my laptop
>>> to a new hard disk (500GB instead of 80GB).
>
>> I've done that quite often, and it's no problem.
>>
>> 1. Boot from an external medium, e.g. www.sysresccd.org
>> 2. Mount both disks
>> 3. Use "rsync -avxHSAX /source/ /target" to copy the partitions
>> 4. Install grub2 on the new disk:
>>   - mount /dev/sdaX /mnt
>>   - grub2-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
>>   - grub2-mkconfig -o /mnt/boot/grub2./grub.cfg
>>
>> Reboot, and you're done.
>
> Don't you have to correct UUIDs in /etc/fstab on the new disk?

Yes. And good chance you'll need to run dracut to rebuild all initramfs's; for sure if it's being moved to new hardware. It might tolerate same hardware, different drive and fs volume UUID, but I know that the initramfs contains references to the volume UUID so you're better off rebuilding the initramfs's.

Chris Murphy