User friendly proxy configuration

Alexis Jeandet alexis.jeandet at member.fsf.org
Sun Nov 16 13:18:19 UTC 2014

Le 15/11/2014 07:17, Tim a écrit :
> On Fri, 2014-11-14 at 13:55 +0100, Alexis Jeandet wrote:
>> my question was more about apps like YUM/DNF which doesn't care about
>> gnome config and doesn't like pac files. My thoughts are that I should
>> write maybe a simple scripts triggered by network manager which
>> configures everything depending on the current host IP or something
>> like this.
> Have you looked through man yum.conf to see the proxy options?  Perhaps
> you could write a network manager script to modify the yum.conf file
> each time you go online, and something checks for the pac file.
This is the first thing I did, since YUM and DNF doesn't accept .pac
file, the current solution is that each time you change you change your
network you have to edit /etc/yum.conf or /etc/dnf/dnf.conf .
Anyway I think I got my answer, I will write the script.

> The alternative option, if you don't want users to go around customising
> things, is to use a transparent proxy, which everything goes through,
> without option.
I do agree, but sadly my lab doesn't manage the proxy, we have to deal
with it and as it is.