monitor arrangement [solved]

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Fri Nov 28 03:12:54 UTC 2014

On 11/27/2014 08:50 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 11/28/14 10:43, Roger wrote:

>>> I dunno. why not swap cables on the back of the computer and use the current settings?
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>> The only way I could resolve that was to swap cables, but it presents another issue, the main monitor is on the left and is the default regardless of settings.
>> For me this is a problem because left is a small screen the the main work screen is a very large display. I learned to live with it, grudgingly.
>>
>> It applies to all types and styles of Linux.
>>

> FWIW, I use KDE with 2 monitors and the changes made to the position of the monitors sticks between logins.
>
> What is the output of xrandr?
>
> You should be able to issue a xrandr command to get the orientation you desire.

swapping cables won't work due to the connections available. one is
hdmi, the other is rgb.

xrandr output:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3600 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
VGA-0 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
430mm x 270mm
   1680x1050     59.95*+
   1280x1024     75.02    60.02
   1152x864      75.00
   1024x768      75.08    60.00
   800x600       75.00    60.32
   640x480       75.00    60.00
   720x400       70.08
HDMI-0 connected primary 1920x1080+1680+0 (normal left inverted right x
axis y axis) 477mm x 268mm
   1920x1080     60.00*+
   1680x1050     59.88
   1280x1024     75.02    60.02
   1440x900      59.90
   1280x960      60.00
   1024x768      75.08    70.07    60.00
   832x624       74.55
   800x600       72.19    75.00    60.32    56.25
   640x480       75.00    72.81    66.67    60.00
   720x400       70.08
DP-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Is there an xrandr command to "take the current config and make it
permanent"?  Trying

xrandr  --output  VGA-0 --left-of HDMI-0

Yes... PERFECT!  Thanks.

--
-- Steve