Display resolution -

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Oct 2 17:12:54 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 12:46:15 -0400,
  "Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA" <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

>On 10/02/14 11:13, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>I have a monitor that doesn't properly do EDID and I use the
>>following in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>># Xorg configuration created by system-config-display
>
>]$ ll /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>ls: cannot access /etc/X11/xorg.conf: No such file or directory

That is because you don't normally need an xorg.conf file. Most recent
displays are going to do proper EDID and X can using that information and
information from the video card drivers / video card to figure out which
resolutions are usable.

>Nothing I have tried seems to work except xrandr.

You don't need to use system-config-display. Just plop a similar xorg.conf
file with timing data appropriate for your monitor. I though you had
already collected that and should be able to use it instead of the
timing data I had.