pnmixer error message: Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_root_coords: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sun Oct 19 13:44:03 UTC 2014

On 10/19/14 20:55, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

>>> Thanks! This is helpful. I will do this.
>>>
>> Of course you're not getting a kernel crash......
> Sorry, so then this is going to be pointless and the answer is something else?

Well, setting up to capture a kernel crash that you're not getting would seem like a pointless exercise.

To summarize.  The problem you're having is with pnmixer.  You have 4 systems configured, software wise, the same and only one system has this problem.  The problem presents itself coming out of hibernate as well as on initial boot.  However, when you then login or restart pnmixer from the command line it loads and works fine the whole time you remain logged in, don't hibernate, and don't reboot.

This, to me, suggests potential race condition with the some module and hardware initiation.  In an attempt to narrow down the issue I suggested the following in another message....

I notice you've 2 Audio devices.

00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
and
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

Is it possible to disable them separately in the BIOS to see if that makes any difference?

Also, recall I don't use openbox, would it be possible to delay the starting of pnmixer by using a user specific autostart instead of the system-wide file you're currently using?

I would also try creating a new user and testing to make sure it isn't specific to one user.

Certainly this is an annoyance....but not a fatal problem as the workaround is to manually start pnmixer.  Should none of the above get you any closer to a cause I would certainly file a bugzilla against pnmixer and see what happens.

You may also want to consider using a different mixer such as the xfce4-mixer.