Disable automatic download of updates

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon Oct 20 02:20:46 UTC 2014

On 10/20/14 09:54, jd1008 wrote:

> On 10/19/2014 04:05 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> Well, when I installed f20, I was NOT getting automatic updates.
>>> I had to manually enable it.
>>> So, I made no assumptions.
>> Yes you did.  You were making the assumption that the OP did something similar to what you may have done.  You looked it it from your point of view.  Which, incidentally, we now know was opposite of what the OP wanted to achieve.
> The op wanted to stop auto updates.

The OP wanted to stop the automatic download of updates withing GNOME.  This GNOME feature is *builtin* to GNOME and there is no need to install any other packages!

> I presented how to disable update daemon if it were installed,
> (which it seems it was, since it does the auto updates if it is
> enabled), And I presented how to delete it if the OP wanted to
> just put an end to it :)

What the heck are you talking about?  You never asked and the OP never said they had installed "yum-updatesd".  I have already told you that this package *IS NOT* installed by default!   You even just said it now "IF it were installed" and there was no indication from the OP that it was!

Again.....  "yum-updatesd" is *NOT* responsible for automatic downloads of updates on a standard default install of GNOME!  It is a *BUILT IN FUNCTION* Period, end of story!

The OP disabled download by using dconf-editor.  I gave him information for F20 as I forgot he is using F21.  The location of the setting has changed.

I gave him this link....

http://ruturaj.net/fedora-20-gnome-3-10-disable-auto-download-of-updates/

and he came back with the indication that the setting has changed in the GNOME being released in F21.

> What was your assumption the OP wanted to do besides stop auto updates?

I made no assumptions but answered the question based on the information he gave.

>> The automatic downloading of updates using GNOME on F20 works just fine.  During this thread, I tested it since I wanted to see how long it took before the downloads happened.  It varies due to timers.  But it works.  If it didn't work for you, then you should have filed a bugzilla.
> Sorry Ed, I never said the updates daemon did not / does not work.
> I was only pointing out to the OP a couple of ways to stop the auto
> updates via the updates daemon.

WHAT?  on "Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 13:06:34 -0600" you wrote....

"Well, when I installed f20, I was NOT getting automatic updates.
I had to manually enable it."

>> The point is "yum erase" won't erase bash.  It isn't "dangerous" as you make it out to be.
> It was your suggestion to use yum erase.
> I was merely pointing out it's consequences.

There are *no* consequences unless you do something stupid.  Just like putting --force in an rpm command in willy nilly fashion.