A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 28 06:31:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-10-28 at 05:16 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Windows also only tries update itself, but doesn't take care about
> updating packages from other sources. In most cases, users will have
> to resort to using package proprietary updaters which may or may not
> work, but always will require "admin" action or them to act as
> maintainers.

Yeah, as you log in up, a dozen different applications auto-start and
try to check for updates, making anything but high spec PCs grind to
their knees.  Then the rest of the apps that didn't do that, then, do it
when you start them up.

Gawd, but I hated having to use those computers, or fix up other
people's computers doing that.  It was such a pain trying to *start* to
do something, as that update palaver got in the way.  It's a sanity
testing time and money waster.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.16.6-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Wed Oct 15 13:48:38 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.