gnutls, openssl and compiling mutt

Alexander Volovics volovics at ziggo.nl
Fri Oct 31 10:59:08 UTC 2014

Does it make any difference if mutt is compiled with '--with-gnutls'
enabled or with '--with-openssl' enabled.

Mutt (Fed20/21/Rawhide package) shows that '--with-gnutls' is used.

I ask because I have no problem connecting to my ISP Ziggo
with mutt when using Fedora.

With the following in .muttrc:
  set ssl_starttls = yes
  set smtp_url = "smtp://volovics@ziggo.nl@smtp.ziggo.nl:587
the TLS connection is established successfully and I am asked to
accept the certificate. Everything works OK from then on.

But this does not work on a MacBook Pro with OsX Yosemite.
I use the Homebrew mutt. This mutt is compiled with '--with-openssl',
linked to 'openssl-1.0.1j'.

Using the same .muttrc file I use in fedora the TLS connection
'aborts' and I get the error message:
"SSL failed, I/O error. Could not negotiate TLS connection".

The openssl-1.0.1j from Homebrew seems to be the same as in
Fedora Rawhide though I have not checked all the patches.

(Of course mutt in Fedora is compiled with gcc and the Homebrew
 mutt with LLVM Clang. Ziggo seems to be using TLSv1)

AV