password troubles

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Fri Oct 31 18:25:23 UTC 2014

	I'm having troubles getting some PCs to accept their passwords,
either directly to sign in, or over ssh from another machine, or both.
I've even had a situation (more than once) where A would not let me ssh
in from B -- but I could ssh from B to C, and from C to A.

	No matter how carefully I type, watching each finger onto the
next key ; even if I type out the password on another tab (so that I can
inspect it), then cut & paste; I still get this :

[btth at localhost ~]$ ssh 192.168.1.123
btth at 192.168.1.123's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
btth at 192.168.1.123's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
btth at 192.168.1.123's password:
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password).
[btth at localhost ~]$

	Also my old Dell PowerEdge SC1420 (long since reconfigured to be
a PC with two hard drives, not a server with one and a backup) does not
let me ssh in with userid, but only as root.

	I've also tried a big hammer, revising a set of known hosts.
Sometimes that does the job; but sometimes it does only this :

[btth at localhost ~]$ nano .ssh/known_hosts
[btth at localhost ~]$ ssh 192.168.1.123
The authenticity of host '192.168.1.123 (192.168.1.123)' can't be
established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is 36:2e:66:7e:e8:e9:96:ae:37:bd:99:da:38:5b:37:fb.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.1.123' (ECDSA) to the list of known
hosts.
btth at 192.168.1.123's password:
Permission denied, please try again.

	.... and so on, till it locks me out for trying too many times.

	Fwiw, at one point I went out and bought a nice brand spanking
new keyboard. No change.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.