"Input out of Range"

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Oct 31 18:49:38 UTC 2014

On 10/31/2014 11:02 AM, Beartooth issued this missive:

> 	I normally run three or four computers behind a 4-way KVM switch;
> one of them is an old Dell PowerEdge SC1420, which began life as a
> server, configured with RAID of some sort. It has long since been re-
> purposed and re-configured, and is now an ordinary old PC. I ran CentOS 6
> on it for years, but recently installed F 20 instead.
>
> 	When I boot it, the HP w2207h widescreen flat panel monitor gives
> me a message saying "Input out of Range" and tells me to reset to
> 1680x1050. I can ssh in -- but what little I recall of such efforts years
> ago, when the monitor was new, is no help; and I can't seem to find the
> setting I need to change.
>
> 	When I've had this problem in recent years, I could shut
> everything down, swap cables around like a crazed beaver, ending up with
> the Dell, and only the Dell, connected to the peripherals -- directly
> connected, without the KVM switch between -- and simply reboot.
>
> 	Either CentOS or earlier releases of Fedora would find the
> monitor, change the setting, and be fine. That now fails.
>
> 	What file do I need to get into to tell the machine 1680x1050??
>
> 	When I do once get into that file, do I simply find lines that
> look similar to 1680x1050 and change them? Or is something fancier going
> on??

My, my, you are having issues this week, aren't you? :-)

The odds here are that the KVM is not relaying the EDID data from the
monitor and instead giving X its own stuff (or nothing at all). In that
case, X may come up with values your monitor can't handle.

One way out is to plug the monitor into the box directly, boot up and
verify that the screen comes up correctly. You can then get X to dump
its settings and put those into an Xorg.conf file so it always uses
those values. It won't matter then what the KVM spews out since X will
use the information from the conf file.