"Input out of Range"

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Fri Oct 31 18:02:58 UTC 2014

	I normally run three or four computers behind a 4-way KVM switch;
one of them is an old Dell PowerEdge SC1420, which began life as a
server, configured with RAID of some sort. It has long since been re-
purposed and re-configured, and is now an ordinary old PC. I ran CentOS 6
on it for years, but recently installed F 20 instead.

	When I boot it, the HP w2207h widescreen flat panel monitor gives
me a message saying "Input out of Range" and tells me to reset to
1680x1050. I can ssh in -- but what little I recall of such efforts years
ago, when the monitor was new, is no help; and I can't seem to find the
setting I need to change.

	When I've had this problem in recent years, I could shut
everything down, swap cables around like a crazed beaver, ending up with
the Dell, and only the Dell, connected to the peripherals -- directly
connected, without the KVM switch between -- and simply reboot.

	Either CentOS or earlier releases of Fedora would find the
monitor, change the setting, and be fine. That now fails.

	What file do I need to get into to tell the machine 1680x1050??

	When I do once get into that file, do I simply find lines that
look similar to 1680x1050 and change them? Or is something fancier going
on??

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.