One of my systems stalls at start-up

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Sep 9 06:02:57 UTC 2014

On 09/09/14 13:21, antonio montagnani wrote:
> 1) In a "normal" operation (but I am online by wireless card):
> systemctl status network.service
> network.service - LSB: Bring up/down networking
>    Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network)
>    Active: inactive (dead)

Strange as it may seem, this is normal.

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ systemctl status network.service
network.service - LSB: Bring up/down networking
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network)
   Active: inactive (dead)

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ systemctl status network.target
network.target - Network
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/network.target; static)
   Active: active since Wed 2014-09-03 08:53:04 CST; 6 days ago
     Docs: man:systemd.special(7)
           http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget

Sep 03 08:53:04 meimei systemd[1]: Starting Network.
Sep 03 08:53:04 meimei systemd[1]: Reached target Network.

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ systemctl status network-online.target
network-online.target - Network is Online
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/network-online.target; static)
   Active: active since Wed 2014-09-03 08:53:04 CST; 6 days ago
     Docs: man:systemd.special(7)
           http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget

Sep 03 08:53:04 meimei systemd[1]: Starting Network is Online.
Sep 03 08:53:04 meimei systemd[1]: Reached target Network is Online.

> 2) Ed, do you mean that waiting for a minute or two is too short? :-)

That is what some are suggesting.  I've seen cases, prior to systemd when things were done in serial fashion, that bootup will be delayed for a time for network related issues.  Eventually it would time out and startup would complete but the process causing the delay (most often sendmail) would enter the "failed" state.

> 3) I repeat, this behaviour is not constant

OK.  I, for one, am not yet convinced that the issue is network related.

You say you're up using WiFi.  The question would be....does the problem happen when coming up with the wired connection and Wifi?

Another thing to do is........

When you have a successful boot after a failed boot.....

journalctl -b -1 > failed.boot

The file should not be very large and you can upload it using fpaste for people to examine.