Smart Media Player Network Access in Fedora 20

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Thu Sep 11 21:15:48 UTC 2014

> On Wed, 2014-09-10 at 06:56 +1000, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>       Thankyou for your responses. I probably need some more
>> assistance
>> on these.
>>       I have minidlna installed already but haven't been able to
>> figure
>> out how to use it.
>>       I have also been told that XBMC to XBMC streaming is not a godd
>> idea, how valid is that?
>>       Also, like Miracast under Windows, doesn't Linux have to be able
>> see the device before any of the mentioned package can stream to it?
> (Insert standard comment about not top-posting.)
>
> IIRC getting minidlna to work was trivial. I seem to remember some minor
> editing of the config file to set up directories to serve from, then
> starting it via systemd. It starts automatically on boot so in the worst
> case if you restart your system it should just happen. You may also need
> to open port 8200 (the default) if you firewall is blocking it.
>
> Also, I suspect you may be labouring under a misconception: you don't
> stream media to your remote device, the device streams media *from* the
> server (using the DLNA protocol). You don't have to tell the server what
> the device is. It will just stream to any device on the LAN that can
> find it. I can stream to my phone or tablet without any further setup
> other than installing a suitable app.
Thanks Patrick. I was assuming Linux was the same as Windows. Under
Windows having done the necessary steps to ensure that Windows can see
the wireless device, I have to start the app I want to stream from as
setting up Miracast using the built in interface won't work unless the
app is running (and it only works with the built in video player, it
doesn't work with mediaplayer), I then have to select the device charm
to tell miracast that I want to project to an external screen only (this
is so the video doesn't play on the pc screen as well), then I have to
select the device charm again and select Play which then prompts for
which of the devices it can see I want to stream to, and then once I
select the android smart player the video appears to be then streamed to
the device and appears on the TV using whatever of the multiple players
on the device is its default.
Some of my issues may be my modem/router not being good enough for
streaming as well. When I try to get the device to play a video directly
of my NAS device over wireless the playback stops every thirty seconds
and buffers, but if I put the flash disk that the video came from into
the device and play the video from there it plays fine without any
buffering.

regards,
Steve