is it the future?

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 12 19:09:33 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> Likely. But Fedora would never have started to use systemd if Poettering
> wasn't RH-employed.
>
> Actually nobody, would have taken notice about systemd.

As the guy who happened to be the FPL when systemd was implemented in
Fedora, I don't think that's true at all.  Just like all of the major
changes in Fedora, we evaluate them based on their technical merit, and not
based on the company paying the person to write the code.    There was a
lot of technical debate around systemd when it was first proposed for
Fedora, and I imagine that same sort of thing would have happened no matter
who Lennart worked for.

Again, I don't see why people opposed to systemd resort to making this a
personal attack.  It's not about the person, it's about the code.  And for
better or worse, it's code we've decided to use in Fedora.  Is it perfect?
Nope?  Did I have my own personal misgivings about using systemd when it
first came out in Fedora?  I have to admit that I did.  But what I've found
over the past couple of years is that I've really come to like systemd, and
I absolutely think it was the right decision.

--
Jared Smith