f21 workstation(gnome) ping fedora servers every 300seconds

Joseph Walton-Rivers joseph at webpigeon.me.uk
Fri Sep 12 23:38:02 UTC 2014

Hello,

I know that this is still a devel release, but it's worth noting that it
would appear that it's the standard way of detecting captive portals.

It would appear that chromium and windows both user similar detection
systems for captive portals. I can see this being quite a useful feature
for people use use wifi at universities, on trains, coffee shops, etc...
but I guess it would be good to let people run/configure their own endpoint
somehow for those who want it? (unless it should be a post-connection hook?
although I’m not sure that this would always work - for example "you have
exceeded your allowed time" messages or such).

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/network-portal-detection
http://blog.superuser.com/2011/05/16/windows-7-network-awareness/

Regards,
Joseph