SATA II causes system freeze

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Fri Sep 19 21:08:40 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 12:19:18PM -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:
> Power supply would be my only guess to cause system wide failures with
> 2 separate motherboards, both of which would be unlikely to be bad in
> the same way.   I have used a number of the AMD build sata2/sata3 MB
> controllers and never had them act up even when using all of the
> build-ins at the same time heavily.

That's a very good guess, Roger.  It's good because it's the
same guess I had.   :-)
I did also change the power supply but forgot to list that with all the
other things that didn't work.
Thank you for the suggestion and the effort to reply.

None of those things had the slightest effect on suppressing freezing.
Only using a SATA 3 socket instead of SATA 2 stops the freezing.

That's got to be the weirdest fix I've ever discovered.

I write this to alert others who may experience freezes to try this
completely off-the-wall solution, and in hopes that I'm not alone
in the universe.

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 19, 2014, at 10:18 AM, David A. De Graaf <dad at datix.us> wrote:
> >>
> >> When the system freezes, if X is lit (not screen-saved) the LCD
> >> monitor looks as if it had been hit a sharp blow on the right edge so
> >> that all the pixels have been shaken loose.
> >
> > Sounds like a bad motherboard. It's managing to corrupt memory in such a way that you're getting video artifacts.

Chris, I agree.  Which is why the first thing I tried was to buy a
new different motherboard (to replace the almost new motherboard).
The two mobo's have onboard video that appears to be different, yet the
display during freeze is indistinguishable.

There's not much motivation to delve further into this problem because
the system seems stable, provided I use the SATA 3 socket.

I'm still interested in hearing of any similar experiences.

--
        David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
        dad at datix.us         www.datix.us

"Warning: I have not read the code.  All who have are mad as hatters."
	-- D. Hugh Redelmeier