Most likely OT: rsync to cifs mount

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Apr 2 22:47:26 UTC 2015

On 02Apr2015 07:54, Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 15:20:52 +1100 Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
>Yes, it is on the same directory of the remote Inselon FS mounted as a cifs mount on a F21 system.
>
>The same command on my local disk (F21 machine, ext4 FS) yields:
>
>$ du -sh kmeans --apparent-size
>154G	kmeans
>
>$ du -sh kmeans
>156G	kmeans
>
>> I'm still wondering if you do have sparse files; images generally are not.
>
>I don't know but I assume I do. How does one find out if one does.

Only by comparing the byte size (st_size from stat) with the blocks * blocksize
(st_blocks * st_blksize). If the byte size well exceeds the blocks*blksize then
the file is presumably sparse.

But images tend not to be. Sparse files tend to be either disk images (eg
*.img) where not all blocks have been used or data files driven through a hash
table (where data is spread out over a huge filespace in little chunks).

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

What the hell is that?
Sounds like Cole Porter to me, sir.     - _Tank Girl_