question about burning and then reading (dd) to confirm sha256sum

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 3 07:57:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-04-02 at 11:13 -0600, jd1008 wrote:
> Problem with k3b is that it refuses to force 2X speed.

The media, drive, or a combination of the two, may not support it.
Media lists a series of speeds that it supports, the burner only has
so-many different power levels that the laser can be operated at, the
burning software needs to take account of it.  To change burn speeds,
the laser power need to be adjusted (faster speed, more laser power;
slower speeds, dimmer laser).

Oddly, I began to see discs that couldn't do 1× burning, several years
ago.  Which immediately puts them out of use for many standalone video
DVD recorders, the older ones that went direct to disc in real time.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.18.9-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Mon Mar 9 17:04:05 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.