Firefox version 37.0.1 crashes on redhat.com

Jim Lewis jim at jklewis.com
Sun Apr 12 20:48:54 UTC 2015

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 09:10:01AM -1000, Jim Lewis wrote:
>>
>>   Oh I see now, you are assuming the problem is with my old OS instead
>> of
>> with Firefox, despite all of the evidence to the contrary.
>
> Did you consider the possibility of a corrupt configuration directory?
> Maybe try starting Firefox with a fresh profile?
>
>   $ firefox -ProfileManager
>
> I have been running Firefox nightly for a few years now.  I sometimes
> face problems like this, but in nightlies that is to be expected.  And
> more often than not, it turns out some config issue.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --
> Suvayu

Hi Suvayu,

  Yes, I thought of that but since several other people are having
problems with the 37.* versions (on Fedora 21, CentOS 6.6, and others) I
still think someone introduced a bug in the Firefox code (maybe while
adding another new feature we don't need). I went back to version 36.0.4
and it is working perfectly, and is a bit faster than 37. I didn't have
to change anything else, so I will assume it's not a profile or config
issue.

  Does anyone know the right way to make Firefox not auto "upgrade" to the
new crappy version when it starts up again?

Jim Lewis