encrypting /home partition post-install

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 21:16:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 09:29 -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > Not so. If you have LVM you have to*know*  you have LVM, otherwise
> your
> > disk partition names won't make any sense. Just doing a "df"
> requires you to know this and understand what it means.
>
> Why is understanding the device names, as opposed to understanding
> what filesystems are, critical to understanding the output of "df"?

Because I know what physical disks I have in my machine and I want to
relate that to what I see in the output of df. I might even want to
move a device to another machine and be able to mount the right
partitions in the right places. With "normal" (i.e. non-LVM)
partitioning it's fairly easy to do this. With LVM it's definitely not.

poc