encrypting /home partition post-install

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Tue Dec 1 21:31:31 UTC 2015

Once upon a time, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> said:
> Because I know what physical disks I have in my machine and I want to
> relate that to what I see in the output of df. I might even want to
> move a device to another machine and be able to mount the right
> partitions in the right places. With "normal" (i.e. non-LVM)
> partitioning it's fairly easy to do this. With LVM it's definitely not.

I find quite the opposite: without LVM, I have to know that the drive I
just moved from computer to computer changed from sdb to sdc, and edit
fstab and such manually.  With LVM, I still get /dev/vg_foo/lv_bar, and
don't care what raw device the underlying partition is, how it is
connected, etc. (very useful for example when taking an internal drive
from one computer and connecting it via an external adapter of some type
on another).

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>