name of bluray drive

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 20:50:32 UTC 2015

On 12/11/2015 12:35 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 12/11/2015 10:56 AM, jd1008 wrote:
>> But, /dev still has no device named blueray or br or br0. Ditto with
>> dvd.
>> I have had to manually create dvd link to sr0.
>> Interestingly, cdrom is there.
>>
>> since what user creates disappears at reboot, I have added the
>> creation of
>> /dev/dvd in rc.local.
>>
>> So, what should the blueray device be called in /dev? bd? br? bdr?
>

> Why do you believe Blu-ray devices should be named "bd*"?
>
> Optical devices, within the past handful of years, have been labeled
> "sr0" by the kernel, and only symlinked to "cdrom" by a udev rule.
> This convention occurs regardless of optical type.
>
> If you wish for additional symlinks you may create custom udev rules
> to do so, but I have no idea why the names would be that important to
> you.
If you saw the thread earlier, some multimedia
players want to use url's like dvd:// ....
to open that media.

If dvd is not in /dev, then that url will not work, because currently
fedora does not provide it in the udev rules.
Also, I recall someone saying that udev and it's rules will be removed
sometime in the future.

You probably did not see such threads, but only popping up
your comment as a kneejerk reaction.