chrony lan - OT -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 5 09:41:20 UTC 2015

On 01/05/15 01:43, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 04 January 2015, Bob Goodwin sent:
>> >But I could have two crony/NTP servers no? In addition to box10 I
>> >could make box7 an ntp server and list both in the clients
>> >configuration file?
> Yes, that's actually a good idea.  If you already have two PCs
> consulting the outside world for time, make them servers on your LAN,
> and let your clients use them.  That lets your clients get time from
> either server, if one of them isn't available for some reason.
>
> A NTP client really should consult several NTP servers (some say at
> least four), and those servers should consult more than one server, too
> (unless they are*the*  master server with an atomic clock, etc).  Some
> math is done to work out the differences/delays between multiple
> servers, to work out which servers are closer up the chain to a master
> server, and your own clock's inaccuracies, and your client does its
> trick as it sees best based on that information.

Crony/ntp appears to be giving the expected results this morning after
being left to do whatever it does overnight and rebooting the client
again. So I conclude that although I can do systemctl restart chrony
that doesn't initiate an update of the system time correction? Not
knowing how to do that makes it difficult to test ...

[bobg at box10 ~]$ ssh -XC bobg at box48
bobg at box48's password:
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
Last login: Sun Jan  4 20:36:00 2015 from box10

"fake authentication" What's that about?

[bobg at box48 ~]$ chronyc sources
210 Number of sources = 1
MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
^* box10                         2   6   377    42   -151us[-1713us]
+/-  321ms

This is the result with only one server, I wanted to see one working
before I confused things with a second unknown. It's interesting to note
that although it is configured to use 192.168.1.10 it correctly
identifies the ntp server as box10 which I assume it gets from /etc/hosts?

I found volumes written on ntp and chrony and the remarkable things it
can do but what I really need is some basic information, primarily how
to cause it to run a new time correction cycle so I can know if a
configuration change has done what I want it to do?

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  Fedora-21/64bit Linux/XFCE