Nouveau driver is fast in Fedora 21 -_-

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Tue Jan 6 10:05:02 UTC 2015

On 06/01/15 20:32, poma wrote:
> On 06.01.2015 09:33, Stephen Morris wrote:
>
>> My experience with the proprietary driver and nouveau driver using an
>> Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 graphics card and KDE is that compared to the
>> proprietary driver the nouveau driver is horribly slow. I have on
>> occasion had to use the nouveau driver when I have updated the kernel
>> and there wasn't a corresponding proprietary driver, in all versions of
>> fedora F18 to F21, and the system was extremely sluggish with the
>> nouveau driver. Even opening the Kmenu in the task bar was extremely
>> slow. I have in the past also tried to run Tux Racer under the nouveau
>> driver and it was completely unusable. I didn't validate exactly what
>> sort of performance the nouveau driver was providing, but the impression
>> from trying to play the game was that it would be lucky if the driver
>> was giving 1 FPS frame rate.
> Perhaps that NVE7 missing firmware for acceleration?
>
>> Consequently my recommendation would be for anyone with an Nvidia card
>> to always use the proprietary driver. In fact, in my opinion, Fedora are
>> doing users a grave dis-service by not providing/supporting the
>> proprietary driver in their standard repositories like the other 2
>> distros I am familiar with using (Ubuntu and Mandriva).
>>
>> regards,
>> Steve
>>
> Are you intentionally trying to play ignorant here?
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items?rd=ForbiddenItems#NVIDIA
> The NVIDIA graphics drivers are proprietary, and many kernel developers consider this driver to violate the GPL license of the kernel. Fedora does not include proprietary software.

Until a couple of years or more ago I would have agreed but I have been
using Nouveau in Ubuntu and Fedora with Nvidia GT8600 graphics card for
everything. Nouveau works a treat except for high intensity rendering 3D
graphics with Blender.
I have not used KDE for 10 years or more because it was slow then and I
believe, from watching others, nothing has changed.
May I suggest something other than KDE and see if there is a difference.
Roger