Nouveau driver is fast in Fedora 21 -_-

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 6 22:40:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-01-06 at 21:05 +1100, Roger wrote:
> Until a couple of years or more ago I would have agreed but I have been
> using Nouveau in Ubuntu and Fedora with Nvidia GT8600 graphics card for
> everything. Nouveau works a treat except for high intensity rendering 3D
> graphics with Blender.

Nvidia makes a lot of different cards.  I've tried several.  Some were
slower than the current (on previous releases of Fedora, etc.)  The only
one that promised to be faster drew too much from my power supply, so
the system wouldn't run at all.  I suspect the main cause of the
problem, slow and jerky scrolling in Firefox, is a lack of video ram on
the card.

> I have not used KDE for 10 years or more because it was slow then and I
> believe, from watching others, nothing has changed.
> May I suggest something other than KDE and see if there is a difference.

KDE *itself* and most applications run fine (I'm not a gamer.)
Problematic ones are Firefox and Evolution.  I would run Gnome rather
than KDE, which would solve a number of problems, except that I like
KDE's user interface and I don't like Gnome's.

Thanks to all for their input.

jon