End of 32-bit support?

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 12:16:41 UTC 2015

On 21.01.2015 11:40, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 01/21/2015 10:46 AM, poma wrote:
>
>> You know that popular saying,
>> Open source does not necessarily mean the open mind.
> I am in vehement disagreement with this and repeatedly expressed it
> before: "OpenSource needs open minds".

These two should not be contradictory.

>> BTW Ralf, are you prepared for incoming inevitable Fedora debacle,
> I am semi-prepared :-)
>
> I am occasionally trying other distros and have a i386 multi-boot
> configuration on my (i386) Netbook, consisting of Win8.1, Fedora,
> openSUSE and Ubuntu.

You are a genuine enthusiast!

> On this netbook, sse2 would not be a problem. Should Fedora drop the
> i386, this netbook will likely be converted Win8.1-only and will be used
> as dedicated Win-machine to serve those few cases I can not avoid using Win.
>
>> did you choose a decent distribution for relocation of machinery?
> Not wrt. to the PIII, Firstly, these "abandon sse", abandon sse2",
> "abandon i386" discussions have taken me by surprise (IMO, these are a
> coup d'etat).
>
> I'll definitely will try to keep this machine running. So far, I haven't
> investigated which distros still support non-sse2 architectures. If
> CentOS7 did, I would switch to that now. Unfortunately the initial
> promise of the CentOS project to provide one, also doesn't seem to be
> wanting to become true.
>
> That said, I'll likely try openSUSE first, then Ubuntu and if all else
> fail - I'll likely resort CentOS6. But, as no decision has been drawn
> yet, at least for now, I don't feel a pressing need to act.
>
> Ralf

http://thelinuxworks.blogspot.com/2014/05/32-bit-enterpise-linux-still-matters.html

Johnny HughesMay 31, 2014 at 6:57 PM
  We intend to have a 32 bit port available for CentOS..
  But it will be best effort and may lag the official effort as it will be a secondary effort.

http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/7/isos/
x86_64/

Yeah, there *is* lag.

Ralf, what do you think, whether Fedora end differently. :)