F21 - Refreshing DHCP lease on ethernet

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 16:21:14 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 8:51 AM, poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21.01.2015 16:13, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>> I am using ethernet to connect to a firewall I am configuring.  My
>> initial connection did not have any dhcp config info (because I had not
>> configured the server) like DNS servers and the like.  I have since
>> configed the firewall, but cannot get this information to my system.  I
>
> This should explain a "little" clearer.
>>
>> tried:
>>
>> ifdown p6p1; ifup p6p1
>
> $ rpm -qf $(which ifdown) $(which ifup)
> initscripts-9.56.1-6.fc21.x86_64
> initscripts-9.56.1-6.fc21.x86_64
>
> Should ask someone who actually uses this rather outdated method.
> Plus biosdevname, eh.

If the OP's using the network service rather than NM, then using
ifup/ifdown with ifcfg-p6p1 isn't outdated.

To the OP:

Is the problem that you're getting a dhcp lease from your "firewall"
but resolv.conf isn't being populated?

Are you using NM or network?

What's the content of
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p6p1
/etc/dhclient.conf or /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf (if they exist)
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/your_connection (if it exists)