Recovering a Crashed Fedora

Mickey binarynut at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 03:53:39 UTC 2015

I have a Fedora 15 hard drive that crashed and I want save the Users files.

I have a Fedora 20 Live Cd on the computer and I can read the users home
directory.

I want to do a tar -cvf on the Users home directory and temporyly store
it on my PC until I do a complete install  of fedora 20 on the crashed
drive.

I'm going to remove the hard drive from the crashed computer to my PC
and tar -cvf from there and tempory store the tar file there until I
make the new install.

But what I'm concerned about is that Root will change the owner of the
Tar files. after i do the new install it will have the same user on the
crashed drive.

Then I will put the user files back onto the new Fedora 20 install.